This is a historic moment for Gardening the Community
For fourteen years, we have dreamed of owning our own land. Now that we do, we need your help! Our goal is to raise $15,000 so that our youth & programs can grow with us in new ways as we develop this land.
All gifts will be doubled by matching funds from a generous friend of GTC.
Over the next three years, we plan to:
• Build a greenhouse so we can farm and teach year round, and create a space to host workshops and trainings.
• Establish a permanent, youth-run farm stand which will open up healthy, affordable food access to hundreds of families.
• Create a cold storage space so we can keep our vegetables and greens fresh for days rather than hours
• Grow leadership across generations, creating passionate food justice activistsWe will bring more access and equity to our damaged food system and re-generate a beautiful green space with healthy soil in the heart of Mason Square.
Your gifts will help cover:
• Youth stipends and summer jobs for this expanded work
• New plantings of perennial flowers, berry bushes and trees
• Supplies for our new greenhouse
• Materials and expertise needed to create healthy soil on site
“We’re here to stay and change the neighborhood. It’s a big deal that we own the land.”
--Brandon Robinson Ortíz, 19, GTC Youth Leader
“GTC is about changing the system. Folks in our community who stop at our farm stands or walk by the gardens say, ‘I hope this garden never goes away, I hope you guys don’t go away’. This land is both a reclamation and a promise. A promise that we have taken root and that we are here to stay.”
--Liz Wills O’ Gilvie, GTC Board Chair
11:30 - 7:30
Pay with SNAP and get your HIP* rebate back instantly!
You can earn up to $40-$80/month more in SNAP dollars
depending on family size when you buy fruits and vegetables directly from GTC and other farmers
THIS MEANS YOU CAN GET YOUR VEGGIES AND FRUITS FOR FREE
HIP expires Feb. 28 so you still have plenty of time to spend with us and earn more money for food!
* Healthy Incentives Program